Monday 26 January 2009

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Travel Journalist


I know what you're thinking. Save it. I've heard it all before. Contrary to popular opinion, travel journalism is not all cocktails at dusk and red carpets to presidential suite. 
Don't believe me? Well, two of my freelance colleagues both today published material on their blogs that sums up rather well the sometimes grim reality of life as a travel writer. Read the Glamour of Travel Writing from David Whitley's 1001 Travel Writer Tips, then follow it up with Graham Bond's A Guide to Guidebook Writing. Read 'em and weep. 
I've had my own fair share of nightmare assignments, whereby I've worked like a dog for a fee that was, frankly, an insult. I've learnt the hard way to say 'no' more and choose the work very, very carefully. But, in the current climate, can freelancers still afford to say 'no'?
I'm holding out for now. But over to you ...

2 comments:

  1. All I can say mate is that, life on the inside - working at a desk commissioning stuff for websites is dull dull dull... difficult compromise... but learning to turn badly paid jobs down is I think one of the key things a quality freelancer has to do... Easy to say, harder to do in practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well David, up until now all your advice has been invaluable to me!

    As you know I've got my first two "freelance" assignments next month....fingers crossed!

    Though personally,for me, I think I will have to return to the "day job" once I get back this year.

    Looking forward to more of your posts!
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete